BSc (Bachelor of Science) in nursing is a four year professional degree course recognized by Indian Nursing Council (INC) , Kerala Nurses and Midwives Council and is affiliated to Kerala University of Health Sciences (KUHS). On successful completion of the four year course the student shall be awarded with Bachelor of Science in nursing degree by KUHS and Registration certificate by KNMC respectively, which entitles them to function as Registered Nurse and Midwife (RNRM).
The aim of the undergraduate nursing program is to:
- Prepare graduates to assume responsibilities as professional, competent nurse and midwives in providing promotive, preventive, curative and rehabilitative services.
- Prepare nurse who can make independent decisions in nursing situations, protect the rights and facilitate individuals and groups in pursuit of health, function in the hospital, community nursing services and conduct research studies in the areas of nursing practice.
On completion of the four year Nursing program the graduate:
- Apply knowledge from physical, biological and behavioral science, medical including alternative systems and nursing in providing nursing care to individuals, families and communities.
- Demonstrate understanding of lifestyle and other factors, which affect health of individuals and groups
- Provide cursing care based on steps of nursing process in collaboration with individuals and groups.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skill in making decisions in all situations in order to provide quality care.
- Utilize the latest trends and technology in providing health care
- Provide promotive, preventive and restorative health services in line with the National Health Policies and programs.
- Practice within the frame work of code of ethics and professional conduct, and acceptable standards of practice within the legal boundaries.
- Communicate effectively with individuals and groups and members of the health care team in order to promote effective interpersonal relationships and team work.
- Demonstrate skill in teaching to individuals and groups in clinical/community health settings.
- Participate effectively as member of the health care team in delivering health care services.
- Demonstrate basic skills in teaching, management and nursing research.
- Demonstrate skill in utilizing evidenced basic practice.
- Disseminate nursing research findings for raising the health status of the community and standards of the profession.
- Pursue opportunities for continual growth as a person, professional and member of the community.
- Serve the society as meaningful and fruitful citizen.
Major part of the clinical experience for the students is provided in the parent institution.
||COMMUNITY HEALTH NURSING CHC, EDAPALLY
||CHILD HEALTH NURSING DISTRICT HOSPITAL, ALUVA
||MENTAL HEALTH NURSING GOVERNMENT MENTAL HEALTH CENTRE, THRISSUR KUSUMAGIRI MENTAL HEALTH CENTRE, KAKKANAD
||OBG NURSINGDISTRICT HOSPITAL, ALUVA
||COMMUNITY HEALTH NURSING PHC, KOONAMMAVU
Research is integral to the development of Nursing Science. Research studies focusing on improvement of Nursing Care Delivery and Patient Outcome, Quality Improvement in Nursing and Nursing Education are the focus of research. Faculty and students are engaged in research activities in these areas. B. Sc. Nursing students undertake group projects in the third year guided by faculty members.
Career opportunities after the course
There is a wide range of opportunities after the successful completion of the BSc Nursing course. The students can opt for a job or go for higher studies. The world of nursing opens up with the first level position of a staff nurse providing ample time to work closely with the patient and family in hospitals, or as a public health nurse working closely with the community at large. Those who want to explore their skills in teaching can pursue a career in teaching starting as a clinical instructor. An exciting career ladder presents the opportunity to climb up to various levels with advance degrees, leadership and communication skills, administrative and academic expertise. The growing area of nursing research is also an exciting area to explore.